Photo Credit: https://happynewyear-2017i.com/new-year-2017-resolution-ideas/
So you’ve set yourself a new year’s resolution to get fit? Join the club, well cycling could just be the perfect way to help you achieve this as well as a great opportunity to meet new people, visit new places and push yourself like never before.
A number of studies have shown how beneficial cycling can be to individuals. Not just physically, but mentally too. We will have a look at some of these studies and benefits below;
- Better brain – Researchers from the University of Illinois found that a 5% improvement in cardio-respiratory exercise from cycling led to an improvement of up to 15% in mental tests. This is because cardio exercise such as cycling helps build new brain cells in the hippocampus (the region responsible for memory) which deteriorates over time.
- Better sleep – Researchers from Stanford University School of Medicine asked sedentary insomnia sufferers to cycle for 20-30 minutes every other day resulting in the time required for the insomniacs to fall asleep reduced by half and their sleep time increased by nearly an hour.
- Better heart – Research at Purdue University has shown that regular cycling can cut the risk of heart disease by 50%! And according to the British Heart Foundation, 10,000 fatal heart attacks could be avoided each year if people kept themselves ﬁtter. They say cycling 20 miles a week reduces the risk of heart disease to less than half that of those who do no exercise.
- Better health – Cycling’s the way to keep the doctor away. Cycling is proven to give you better health and a better immune system. The chief dietician at St George’s Hospital in London, Cath Collins says; “Moderate exercise makes immune cells more active, so they’re ready to ﬁght off infection,”
- Better body – Regular exercise such as cycling burns calories and works on your core muscles, improving your body inside and out. Cycling is far more comfortable on your body too compared to running etc.
- Better 2017
As well as these benefits for you individually if you begin commuting to work now and again and eventually using a bike more than a car the environment and planet will reap the benefits. Less pollution, less materials needed to make a bike, less space needed on the road or to park etc.